Friday 20 June 2014

Bob's Tool Box


My annual trip to Cornwall wouldn't be complete without a visit to Bob's Tool Box in Liskeard. Not so much a box as a row of three sheds crammed full of antique tools.


The Cornish flag is flying high and they are very proud of their county. Some would like independance from the rest of the UK, we'll see how Scotland gets on first!
I wonder what Bob's views on this are as a Scot living in Cornwall, I must ask him next year.


He's had a major tidy up since last year and the rows of planes looked very regimented.


Below is a till from the 1920's complete with working till roll mechanism and drawer bell, straight out of 'Open All Hours' but without the bite!


The corners were dovetailed and it was a very appealing box especially at £55.


In the end I stuck to what I know and bought a Spiers smoother and an unusually wide user made chariot plane in brass with a steel sole, I just need to find it a blade.


The last thing I bought was a chunk of 3" thick rosewood, after a bit of exploratory planing it looked like old growth Indian rosewood but I'll have to ask the other Bob at Timberline.


When I asked the price I was told it is priced by weight. Isn't it funny how the heaviest woods are priced by weight and not size! Anyway after a bit of haggling it was mine.


I was determined not to bore you all with pictures of the Cornish coast (they are never as good as being there anyway) but here is one which captures the essence, rugged rocks with white sands. This is Trebarwith Strand near Tintagel and it's reached down a long single track road. The sat nav summed it up showing a road going nowhere with open sea beyond, time to relax!


1 comment:

  1. My annual trip to Cornwall wouldn't be complete without a visit to Bob's Tool Box in Liskeard. Not so much a box as a row of three sheds ... bbobsfurniture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete