Tuesday 25 April 2017

Oliver Sparks Cutting Knife


A short while back a did a post on a Norris cutting knife and included a link to a batch made by Oliver Sparks. You can see my post here http://davidbarronfurniture.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/norris-mount-cutting-knife.html

I ordered one of Oliver's knives which is beautifully made, here is a shot showing the difference in scale with the Norris. The OSM knife is just 4" long and 5/8" wide and fits really nicely in the hand.


Lovely rosewood.

The knife came with a spear point blade which is razor sharp. It also comes with a blank blade which I sharpened to the profile I'm used to using, with a bevel on each side of the blade. I find this profile is easier to use for marking both sides of dovetail pins and it's also a lot easier to sharpen.


Sharpening is done on the angled back rather than the fine bevels and this very quickly re establishes a fine point.
Oliver does everything in house and I'll leave you with a close up of the knurling.


1 comment:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    top-5-best-knife-sharpeners

    ReplyDelete