Monday 23 July 2018

Teaching from my Workshop 12th 13th 14th October. Dovetailing and Sharpening.


THE DOVETAIL COURSE HAS ONE SPACE LEFT AND THE SHARPENING COURSE IS NOW FULL.
 Ever since moving into my new workshop nearly two years ago, I've been meaning to start teaching again. At last I've got round to organised some dates! My workshop is in a modern industrial estate in Southampton and has four work benches of varying styles (no Record vices!). Above is a bench equipped with an excellent Bench Crafted glide vice and below a traditional Scandinavian bench with a shoulder vice (I have two of these).


The style below is a modern commercially made bench from Ulmia in Germany which although traditional in looks has an excellent front vice, ideal for dovetailing. Being able to use these benches may help you with buying or upgrading your existing bench.


The first course is just a single day on Friday 12th October and precedes the dovetailing course which follows on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th, full details can be found on my Website.
Hardly anyone has come to the dovetailing courses I've run in the past with tools that are sharp enough for good results. So if you intend to come on the dovetailing course and are in any doubt about the sharpness of your tools, I would suggest you come along on the 12th.
The course is also open to anyone who just wants to spend a day leaning how to sharpen their tools.


Effortless fluffy shavings and a wonderful finish are easily achieved with a sharp, well tuned plane.


Sharpening materials will be available to use as well as advice on what equipment to buy without breaking the bank.

The dovetailing course on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th October starts with plenty of practice cuts to get used to using the saw and magnetic guide, followed by a practice joint shown below.



The main project will be making a very useful dovetail alignment board, click on my YouTube video above to see the process. I have loads more videos on there as well.


Dovetails of this fit and finish should be achievable by everyone by the end of the course.


For maximum stability all boards will be made from a single piece of quarter saw timber, in this case some lovely English Oak. Full details of the course cost and booking can be found on my website, please click the link at the top of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment