Monday 28 May 2012

Lefties!


Most of my tools are ambidextrous, but a few are handed. These knives have the thumb scallop on the right side for left handers. The scallop isn't just there for a comfortable hold but it also registers the blade at exactly 90 degrees, a very useful feature. The woods are snakewood, pink ivory and Brazilian tulipwood, I picked really nice blanks as the customers had to wait a while.


The finish is hand applied lacquer rubbed back to a flawless finish.


I also made a small batch of three jointer planes, these two are right handed and the left handed one was posted to the US earlier today. Soon after I shaped the fences and tapped the holes I had another order for a left handed version! That will have to wait until the next batch.


These are made in Goncalo Alves a hard and attractive timber which has turned out very well. I completed these 2 or 3 weeks ago but I like to leave them to settle before flattening the sole and opening the mouth. It also allowed me to build up a nice oil finish.


1 comment:

  1. your home is very personal to you is why you Modern Furniture for home fits this wish.

    ReplyDelete