Monday 13 November 2017

Windsor Chair First Coat


I managed to find time to clean up the glue and do the final scraping and sanding. Having pondered a number of finishes I used a penetrating oil (details at the end) which will need many coats.


The continuous arm Windsor designed by James Mursell looks great from any angle.


I simplified the seat shape from the more traditional design and managed to find a board with some nice olive colour running the middle (sorry Simon, you'll have to be quicker next time!)


I managed to find some olive ash legs as well.



Contrasting wedges were used for the arm spindles and it's worth taking a little time to make sure these are centred and the correct width.


The finished I used was Devon Wood Oil as warranted by the Royal Household, if it's good enough for the queen.....

1 comment:

  1. Very nice David, I knew I wouldn't beat you to the Olive Ash, but hey !!!

    I used an old tin of Mylands Melamine Laquer and it has left a very tiny strange spots. It will kill me but I am going to re-sand and use the same oil as you, I feel the chair should have a slight lustre to the finish.

    ReplyDelete