Friday 12 July 2013

Hitting the Finish!


I'm working on a batch of hammer handles from my stash of wonderfully rippled ash. When all the sanding is done it comes to my favourite part, the first coat of finish.


The olive coloured wood comes from the centre of the tree and it's rare for the ripple to go that far in.


The white ash is from the outer part or from younger trees where the wood is all white. The figure really pops but you have to see the wood as it moves to really appreciate it's depth.


Here's my favourite, where the handle has a combination of both white and olive. The line between the two is quite distinct which makes it all the more stunning.


The finish I'm using here is melamine lacquer, I hand rub on two coats and then cut back with 600 grit before a thinned finish coat. This much harder and more durable than French polish and is more durable and quicker drying than oil.


A box of 59 handles, to match all the heads I have left.  I've had quite a run on these lately.


5 comments:

  1. Lovely mate.

    Do you use this type of hammer with your Japanese chisels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I use this with all my chisels (and I have quite a few!)as well as many other workshop tasks. Once you have used one of these they'll be no going back!
      All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty curly ash. I am learning that EVERY wood can come in curly figure. That's a very interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curly figure is more common in some woods than others sycamore, ash and walnut as well as American maple and cherry are all good sources. All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog on Furniture For Landlords .I want to encourage you continue your great writing.

    ReplyDelete