Wednesday 7 March 2018

Miller Shoulder Plane.


I collect planes made by George Miller (working from 1890 - 1914) and when I saw this one for sale I snapped it up. It has an ebony infill and the rare 'rhino horn' protrusion, which is undamaged. This was the first time I've seen this feature in the flesh.


Like all Miller planes it has a nice tight mouth and is very heavy, weighing in at 1700 gr (almost 4lb).
The rhino horn can be used for a wider front grip......


....but I think it is more likely to help it to be used one handed.


1 comment:

  1. Hi David, Thank you for the info on the lovely plane. I have recently acquired a Miller infill shoulder plane. My plane has the distinctive rhino horn protrusion but it is level with the back of the opening. It is 8 inches long and 1.5 inches wide . It has a ebony infill. If you would like a picture I can send you one.
    Best regards Ron Jewell

    ReplyDelete