Saturday 4 August 2012

Tool Auction


I visited the David Stanley auction on Friday, here are the 1,000 lots laid out for viewing. This wasn't the international auction but I prefer these as there are more bargains and you can take the tools away with you, saving postage, packing and credit card charges.


They had plenty of tools chests and this was the nicest.


Bill and Sarah Carter had a small stand as usual with a fine selection of Bills lovely planes for sale.


I couldn't resist (as usual!) and bought this large mitre plane in yew.


Here's my haul from the auction, a few need some restoration but I enjoy that and hopefully don't buy any I can't cope with.


The bargain of the day was this pack of 6 cast steel blades which I picked up for £6 inc the premium. Five of them were parallel blades which are changing hands for £20 each on E Bay.


This is a rare plane, a Norris A13. It is in a sorry state with a cracked handle, bent adjuster, belt sanded edges, non original blade and covered in muck and paint. I bought this at a knock down price from one of the stall holders and will hopefully be bringing it back to its former glory tomorrow, watch this space!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like its time to get another plane from Bill. Likely to become my new favourite plane. Thanks for sharing David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful it's addictive! All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. Oh to be able to go to a show like that :( Nothing even close to that over here where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 300 mile round trip for me, but well worth it. All the best, David.

      Delete
  4. Hello David,
    What will you do with the planes, restore and sell them or keep them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark, I have a fair number old planes which I enjoy restoring, when I have too many I have a clear out on E Bay (hopefully for a profit!) but I always keep my favourites. All the best, David.

    ReplyDelete