Thursday 2 August 2012

Tool Boxes


I love making boxes and have a particular fondness for tool boxes, not the large 'takes two people to carry type', but the handily sized bench top versions.


I found this on recently in an antique shop, it is very nicely proportioned and is hand dovetailed on all corners. It's made from Elm and dates from the late 19 C.

It has nice heavy brass ware which is probably original. It measures 19 1/2" w x 11 1/2" d x 8" h
Jameel Abraham made a strikingly similar box which can be seen here. http://benchcrafted.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/wia-birds-eye-maple-box.html


Here is another box which I've had for a while, probably from the 1960's again with classical proportions and hand cut dovetails on the drawers.


The top set of drawers are dummies, and I intend to make a version of this. 20" x 9" d x 11 1/4" h.


Here is my tool box which I take to shows. it is very useful and I know everything I need is contained within. It measures 21" w x 12 1/2" d x 9 1/2" w. You can see a You Tube video I made below.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the video on your tool chest. I'm interested in the plans. However, I can't find someplace online to order the back issue. However the GMC website only carries back issues to mid 2011 and the main Furniture and Cabinetmaking doesn't even have a link for individual back issues. Do you know of a source that might still carry the April 2010 issue?

    Thanks,
    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Russ, If you e mail the editor of F&C he will send you a PDF of the plans, All the best, David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete