Sunday 22 January 2012

Cutting Gauge

In the November 2010 issue of Furniture and Cabinetmaking I wrote an article on the making of a small cutting gauge. Until now I haven't actually had time to make any to sell! The wood I'm using is Macassar Ebony which I've had in stock for a few years. The picture shows the wood for the head stock which has had a 20mm wide groove to a depth of 3mm.


Here I'm starting to rout the grooves in the stems. This is a lot easier and safer to do before cuttting to size.





All the grooves have been cut. Note the backer board, which was attached with double sided tape, to prevent tearout on the underside.







The heads were cut up on the table saw and then rough shaped on the band saw (that's the Minimax, still no news on the Startrite). The curves were refined with two different sized bobbins on the spindle sander









The completed heads and stocks ready for final fitting.











2 comments:

  1. It's good to see this revival in the UK toolmaking industry. Good quality, too. Glad to see you are not entering the dovetail sprint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid its not on a very large scale, its only me and I've got furniture to make as well!

    ReplyDelete