Monday 2 January 2012

Jewellry box

Here's a picture of the box glued up, it's the first time I've used 'hounds tooth' dovetails and I think they look good. They were a little more trouble to cut, but worth the effort. Using hard maple for both sides of the joint needed extra care, this wood splits for fun if the joint is too tight and the light colour makes sucessful gap filling difficult.
The curly maple was discovered amongst a pile of ordinary maple at Yandles wood yard and was a real bargain. Luthier suppliers would charge a fortune for wood this nice. This will be a jewellry box with a few lift out trays and I'll be showing this at Celebration of Craftsmanship later this year. For now I will be concentrating on building up my stock of tools ready for the new show season.

No comments:

Post a Comment