Monday 12 August 2013

Celebration of Craftsmanship Exhibition


 I'll be exhibiting at the Celebration of Craftsmanship at Cheltenham this year. I had originally planned to create a free-standing four sided display, with a small wall cabinet on each side. Due to the demand for tools this year I only managed to make one!
It has a curved front in figured ash with an olive ash carcass.


The other pieces are a selection of boxes from stock, here's a little dovetailed box in birds eye maple and walnut.


The last of my boxes from the salvaged wood from HMS Victory.


This is the box I made alongside Jim on the one to one training last week. It turned out nicely but no better than Jim's.


I lined my box with bottle green pig suede, which I think goes really nicely with the olive ash.


I attached the lid with a pair of Andrew Crawford's Smart Hinges. They are very discreet and easy to fit as long as you take the time to set up the router table accurately.


If you can find the time to visit the exhibition it's well worth a visit. http://www.celebrationofcraftsmanship.com/contact.aspx

9 comments:

  1. Nice work as always David. Not a bad problem to have with the demand for tools being so high!!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, everything is a balance, it just never seems to be even!
      All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. I`ll look forward to seeing your work there, making tools may be good for business but its better when a furniture maker makes furniture, (in my humble opinion) particularly when its of top quality like yours.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Pleased to see you used slotted screws in the hinges.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mark, thanks for your comments. The screws are indeed slotted and they all line up! All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Cheltenham today, I saw your boxes, planes and cabinet, all very nice. After looking at the boxes I had my back to them looking at another piece, behind me I heard two ladies admiring your boxes and saying what nice gifts they would make, one then said to the other "what are these for, salt, pepper," "no no" said the other "I think they are for sharpening knives." I looked round and one of them was holding one of your smoothing planes!
    Don`t worry I explained what their real use is.
    Plane shaped salt & pepper pots, there`s an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I'm glad you put them right! I like my planes to be used for intended purpose. Thank you, David.

      Delete