Saturday 12 November 2016

Alan Peters Dovetail Chest.


A few years ago I was lucky to buy this chest by the late Alan Peters. There were a few other items of his in that sale and I regret not bidding for them as well.


In total there were 168 hand cut dovetails and they are all perfect, believe me I've looked!
The drawers are all a 'trademark' piston fit and each can be opening with one finger from either side without binding.

The drawers have thin (8 mm) sides of quartered oak and the drawer bases are all cedar of Lebanon


Here are the dual drawers stops, mounted on the front so as the drawer protrusion in the carcass remains the same throughout the seasons.


The elm all came from the same tree as it matches very well and the curved horizontal frames allow the drawers to be opened without the need to add handles.


The sides are tapered from top to bottom in their thickness, and are from single 18" wide boards.
the overall dimensions are 48" high x 35" wide x 18" deep. A lovely thing.


7 comments:

  1. Evening David,
    Any chance you could post some photos of the drawer construction, the slips and bottom perhaps. It would be very interesting to see how Peter made them.
    Thanks, Stephen Halliday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, my camera's in the workshop, I'll take some shots when I next go in. All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. That's bloody lovely David, I'm gonna have a look at this when I get the invite to your house warming party !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, You can come and see it any time. All the best, David.

      Delete
  3. This is such an amazing chest of drawers. I bought an Alan Peters book based on your recommendation. He had a great talent.

    ReplyDelete