Tuesday 5 December 2017

Sussex Guild Craft Show in Midhurst


We had the pleasure of visiting the Sussex Guild Craft show at Midhurst over the weekend.
There was strong showing of furniture makers among the numerous exhibitors.
These nesting tables and lovely dining room table are by Edward Johnson.


The box below, made by Andrew Poder, caught my eye, the lid was made by embedding burr oak off cuts in polyester resin.

He used the same technique with these sculptures. I've ordered some of the polyester resin to have a little play.


These block prints are simply amazing! Cut in boxwood by Sue Scullard, the master block for the print below (Edinburgh castle) took two months of painstaking work.



James Mursell with his excellent Windsor chairs was at the show promoting his courses. If you've ever fancied having a go I can highly recommend them, very rewarding for all skill levels.


I'm just testing my favourite of his chairs, a beautiful rocker.



Another very skilled artist was Simon Groves with these wonderful carvings.


......and yes they were all done with this chainsaw!


Lastly this large vessel was turned by John Plater from a huge walnut root ball, he must be stronger than he looks!

2 comments:

  1. I'm gutted that I missed it this year, it would have been nice to see James and Andrew Poder again, he has some lovely boxes and works out of a tiny workshop in his back garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, That's a shame, I should have blogged in advance. All the best, David.

      Delete