Wednesday 15 January 2014

Japanese Chisels for Dovetailing, Sneak Preview.


For the past few months I've been working to get a set of Japanese chisels produced which are ideal for dovetailing, and here they are! They have been forged by master blacksmith Ouchi who is renowned for making professional quality chisels from the finest white paper steel (hardened to Rc 65).
I am selling a set of four (6,9,12 and 18 mm) including a heavy duty tool roll for £255.


The sides are angled at 15 degrees and come down to a clean edge which is perfect for getting right into the corners of dovetails. The handles are boxwood with the core running down the centre for maximum stability.


The main bevel is ground at a shallow 25 degrees so that the tip can be honed at 30 degrees. The shallow angle helps avoid the base line being compressed as the waste is being removed.


The backs have been beautifully prepared ready for a lick on a fine stone.


Now I know Japanese 'dovetail' chisels are widely available but don't be fooled by the name, as I was about 15 years ago. The word 'dovetail' refers to their shape and not their intended purpose, they still have square edges the same as other Japanese chisels. I ground the edges down on my old set and they work great, although the dovetail shape makes them awkward to use in a honing guide.
So there we have it, at last a set of fine Japanese chisels designed to meet the needs of Western dovetailers. They are not cheap but are in line with other premium chisel brands and that wonderful steel..........!
They'll be on my website in a couple of weeks and I'll be making a You Tube video in the next 2 months.

6 comments:

  1. Ouchi-san makes top notch chisels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, do you still sell these chisels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I stopped selling these a while back now. All the best, David.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, David. Would you know of any other Japanese chisel that does handle sneaking inside less than 90 degree angles?
      Let me take the opportunity to tell you how much I appreciate your work and your YouTube videos.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry I don't. I still have my very first set of Japanese chisels which I use a shows. I ground away the sides (carefully!) so that they came down to a nice edge and they work great. All the best, David.

      Delete