Sunday 27 September 2015

Beautifully Engraved Plane!


A while ago (actually a very long while!) I sent a cute little Slater chariot plane to be hand engraved by Ian Houghton http://www.spanglefish.com/metalstamps/index.asp
He's made me some name stamps in the past which are very nicely done but this is a whole different level.


He wouldn't say how much time he spent on the engraving but I guess it was considerable. The patterns are a perfect match on each side. Instead of payment he wanted one of my wooden hand planes which I have now stopped making, I guess I've got one more in me!


I particularly liked the Rio rosewood wedge on this plane with a mixture of sap and heart wood and a black line through the middle.


The detailing is superb, just remember when you are looking at this the plane is only 3 3/4" long.
It sits on the desk in my office (where I spend far too much time!) and is admired every day.


1 comment: