Wednesday 12 April 2017

Oliver Sparks Thumb Plane.


When I returned from the Yandles show I had a nice surprise waiting. A beautiful thumb plane made by Oliver Sparks. 

I ordered this a while ago and Ollie's idea was to produce his interpretation of a rare Mathieson plane, I can't imagine the original was as nice as this.


There are curves and chamfers all round and that lever cap is just stunning.


This is a step up in size from the 'Slipper' plane I bought from Ollie, it's 6 1/2" wide and has a 1 1/2" wide blade, a perfect size for trimming and smoothing. This plane has been designated 'Aero'. The mouth is as tight as a gnats whisker!


Ollie made a batch of five in varying woods and metal and has two left. If you're interested the cost is £1800 and you can contact him via his website http://oliversparks.co.uk/gallery.html


1 comment: