Tuesday 4 February 2014

Speaking of Furniture, New Book.


I like to keep abreast of new woodworking titles. This was reassuringly expensive and it didn't disappoint with 336 pages and 336 quality colour photographs. It also has 48 halftones, black and white to you and me.
Choosing 14 American masters was never going to be easy, the difficult bit is who to leave out, although I was surprised not to see Sam Maloof and George Nakashima. However both of these are well covered with separate coffee table books.
James Krenov is the first master featured (on account of his age) and a great start in my view.
Below are pieces that caught my eye.


I'm not who this chest of drawers was made by, the geometry of the design is very appealing.


This desk is very well known made by legend Jere Osgood, a wonderful thing. Where did the design for this come from?!

Judy McKie has a very distinctive style and often uses animals in her work. The bronze above is one end of a Jaguar bench.


This chest on a stand is by Hank Gilpin and I love the asymmetrical design, if you analyse it it shouldn't work and yet it does.

Richard Scott Newman made this blanket chest in 1981 long before the current trend for wobbly CNC furniture came on the scene. Wonderful stuff.


I'll leave you with some James Krenov. His attitudes divide opinion probably more than any other but he has been a strong and positive influence on my woodworking.


1 comment:

  1. [quote]Richard Scott Newman made this blanket chest in 1981 long before the current trend for wobbly CNC furniture came on the scene. Wonderful stuff[/quote]

    I always took that for a female hip section. Now will have to ask in case it's only my mind works that way, lol!

    You know the book dustcover photo is a detail of Richard's umbrella stand.

    smt

    ReplyDelete