Thursday 20 December 2012

Best Tape Measure?


An order arrived from Dictum Tools in Germany today (their catalogue is well worth getting hold of) and included this little tape measure. It wasn't cheap but sounded well made with some neat ideas. The first thing I like is the locking mechanism which locks when you release the thumb press and is more accurate. I also prefer routers with this feature although I don't own one!


Another nice touch is the protruding hook under the head which allows a board to be accurately measured and then locked off for the reading to be taken at your leisure. It helps that there is no play whatsoever in the main hook on the front of the tape.


For taking inside measurements the back tape can be rolled down which adds exactly 10 cm to the scale and to assist you the inside scale had figures in red, see below.
This will be my tape of choice in the workshop from now on, made by Hultafors in Sweden, although I did notice the scale was made by Fisco in the UK.


5 comments:

  1. Been meaning to get one myself but I thought they were Swedish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows! I've been using it a lot today with making my tool canbinet, it takes a little getting used to but I'm warming to it very quickly. All the best, David.

      Delete
  2. The "Talmeter" is a very well renowned tape measure from Swedish Hultafors. You should really update your original text and correct its origin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Thanks for bringing this to my attention, my post has been altered. All the best, David.

      Delete